Sunday 3 November 2019

Subjective opinion: cars' colour

When I was young and naive my dream car was a black Ford Mustang. I wanted to have my own black horse with a lot of power, something around 460 hp. However, with aging my attraction to black cars got ruined by a rather practical view.





So let's see what pros and cons different colours have.
Black - classy! You can't go wrong with black, unless it's summer, or winter, or you have to drive through a construction zone. Black cars overheat like crazy! Also, any speck of dust would be visible on it. Forget about seeing your car in black during the snowy season.

White cars won't get as hot as any others in the summer. Salt isn't visible on it, so you won't be annoyed by a dirty car as much as with other colours (except of gray).

Gray is universal! It doesn't care about mud, salt or whatever is on the road. It doesn't absorb sunlight as much as dark coloured cars. The main disadvantage, though, is bad visibility at night time. If a gray car is park on the curb it's difficult to see it. That could be dangerous. Same is applicable to beige cars.



Bright colours have much better visibility - it's difficult to miss a red, yellow or blue car! Though dirt could be a headache for the owner, but that depends on shade of the car.
My previous Elantra was bright blue, with the official colour name being Marina Blue.


I was taking it to the car wash at least once a month, because it was obviously dirty in any driving condition: after rain, in dry weather driving through industrial area or on gravel, not to mention winter time (simply a nightmare).


From the other hand, my current Stargazing Blue Elantra manages to hide dirt via slow migration to the gray colour.  It was washed only 4 times in a year! Plus one hand wash after volunteering in the fields, when the car was covered in mud from tyres to the roof and touchless car wash would not make it any better.

So which colour to choose? For me it's obvious - I do not pick blue cars, they pick me. Even all three rental cars that I had this year were blue.
Once my friend said a great phrase:"Colour doesn't affect car's speed", so pick whatever you like if you have an opportunity to select the colour. But keep in mind that you may deny the decision of purchasing a dark car during summer time.

I forgot to mention the most important thing - try to avoid custom colours. If the car has one of those chameleon shades, in case of fixing it chances to get the same shade are pretty low. So try to keep your selection closer to basic colours. Otherwise you have a risk of having a multiple shades car.

2 comments:

  1. "Plus" to blue.
    My first car was black suzuki, I have reason to believe that color was a factor for that car being crashed. So since that I had two "silver" cars; and now I drive blue Elantra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not blame the black car's colour for the accident, but proper shade of blue looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Replacing engine air filter

 Hello!  Covid-19 made a lot of adjustments in my lifestyle,  but no matter how bad the lockdown is the car still requires a maintenance. To...