Saturday 5 May 2018

London Calling


When I was a student of the elementary school, every school year from grade 4 was starting from the words:”London is…” We knew that London is a capital of the Great Britain, as well as a cultural, educational and economical centre of the country. We were learning about The City and other areas of this great megapolis year after year until our graduation. It felt like we could walk the tours around London based on our textbooks.

Nevertheless, sometimes theory meets practice. This year, absolutely unexpectedly, I went to London. If you would ask me to describe this gorgeous city in words, I would not be able to summarize all emotions that London triggers in tourists.
London is purple. From the first steps after landing London meets visitors with purple ads, the purple uniforms of the airport workers, purple signs, purple cars, purple… just name it! I felt perfectly Londonish in my daily outfit.
London is architecture! From the deep corners of the West end to The City, London has a breathtaking design of the buildings and gardens around them.  Also my respect to municipality and architects – most historic buildings were re-designed and built up with attachments in a very organic way.
London is the sky. On the second day of our stay there we saw that it could be blue, really blue. The rest of the time the sky was a grey mass above that was producing water.
London is museums. The National Gallery on Trafalgar Square left AGO without a client. I won’t be able to pay for AGO membership after seeing The National Gallery for free.
London is people. Have to write more about this.
London is public transit. It was designed for people. It is convenient, fast, covers all areas. Bus drivers reminded me of TTC by poor services, but subway (pardon, London tube) is great.
London is cars. I thought I would twist my neck trying to identify everything on the roads. Very different from Canada, a lot of interesting models.
London is the rain. We got soaked there on the very first day. Water was running from the sky almost 20 hours a day.  The Thames River was overflowing in the area where we were staying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Replacing engine air filter

 Hello!  Covid-19 made a lot of adjustments in my lifestyle,  but no matter how bad the lockdown is the car still requires a maintenance. To...